Solve Orgiva

Vehicle Registration


In this section we are trying to explain the procedures that need to be followed in order to register your vehicle in Spain and to get Spanish number plates. This section does not cover the procedures which need to be followed to import the car into the country in the first place.

Non-residents can only register vehicles in Spain on temporary tourist plates, valid for a six-month period in any one year, and renewable annually. If non-residents become resident they must obtain full national plates and pay the Impuesto Especial of 12%, which is based on the car's ready-reckoned value. (Non-residents from outside the EU are exempt from the Impuesto Especial).

Residents importing a vehicle must register it with the local authorities and obtain Spanish national plates.

It is worth noting that anyone, EU or non-EU moving to Spain to take official residence, will be exempt from paying taxes when registering the car if they bring with them a car they already own at the time of the move. The reason for this is that the car will be considered to be part of the household effects and furniture which are brought to Spain at the time of moving into the country.

However there are some conditions which you must comply with if you are to avoid paying tax and it is important to remember that the procedure for registering the vehicle must be started within one month from the date of issue of the residence permit.

To take advantage of this, you must have owned the car for at least six months; you must have paid VAT in the country of origin; you must obtain a certificate of residency in Spain from your local Town Hall and you must obtain a certificate of non-residency from the country you are resident in, not the country you are coming into Spain from e.g. if you are a UK resident but are moving into Spain from a third country and therefore importing the vehicle from that country, you have to ask for a non-residence certificate from the UK.

In the UK may be difficult to obtain a certificate of non-residence, simply because its concept does not exist. You can get round this problem simply by contacting the Spanish embassy prior to your departure and declaring your intention to leave the country or alternatively, you can also contact your country's consulate upon your arrival in Spain.

The procedures relating to registration of a vehicle in Spain are complex but can be resumed to:

1) Taking the car to an ITV (MOT) station to pass the test, taking the following with you:
  • The certificate of non-residency from your consulate AND
  • The empadronamiento (certificate of residency in Spain) issued by the local Town Hall AND,
  • The ficha reducida, a form issued by a perito (an engineer) with all the car details AND,
  • The DUA (Documento Único Administrativo) – custom’s papers.
2) Applying for the number plates at the traffic police, taking the following with you:
  • A filled in form available from the traffic police AND,
  • The fee to cover administrative costs AND,
  • Original and photocopy of the NIE AND,
  • Vehicle documentation AND,
  • The ficha reducida a form issued by a perito (an engineer) with all the car details AND,
  • The DUA (Documento Único Administrativo) – the papers from customs AND,
  • Receipt of having paid the municipal road tax AND,
  • Receipt of having paid, or being exempt from paying, the Spanish car registration tax.

The process gets even more complicated if:

  • The car is not brought into Spain at the time of the move, or you do not get a certificate of non-residency, which means you will probably have to pay all taxes.
  • The car is not homologado (not up to EU standards), which will mean a trip to the National Technical Aerospace Institute (INTA) in Madrid to have it standardised which will attract an extra 1.500€ in costs. Please contact us to find out if your car is standardized.
  • The car is right-hand drive and considered to be an industrial vehicle which will make it near impossible to get it registered and getting Spanish plates for it.

Traffic Regulations require that the following items be kept in the vehicle:

  • Set of bulbs and tools necessary to replace them.
  • Two warning triangles - officially approved by the Ministerio del Interior, bearing a round symbol E9 and the code 27R03.
  • Spare tyre and the tools necessary to replace it.
  • A reflective jacket.
  • A spare pair of glasses (for those who wear spectacles to drive).

A fine is payable if these are not carried.

What SOLVE can do for you.

We can take you through the whole process of registering and getting the new number plates for your car. This will involve:

  • Liaising with a perito (an engineer) to get the car paperwork ready.
  • Accompanying you to the ITV station to perform the test.
  • Filling in all forms.
  • Applying and getting the new number plates.
  • Paying all costs on your behalf

Cost of registering and getting Spanish number plates for your car.

Ficha reducida 100,00 approx.
ITV test 100,00 approx.
Local road tax 80,00 approx. (depending on the car's engine size)
Registration tax If you are not exempt, it will depend on the car.
Traffic police administrative costs 68,00
Cost of making the number plates 9,00 to 12,00
SOLVE costs 100,00

NOTE: These costs were correct at the time of writing.

 If you think we can be of any help to you with regards the above, please contact us.